Tuesday, February 12, 2019

Drawing Lesson 2 - Trees

My last blog was about drawing using a simple pear as the subject.
This lesson follows the same methods but I'm using a more complicated shape of a tree for the example.
Big maple tree with light coming from the right side

In this "edges" drawing I'm studying the general edges of the tree but not the very details of every in and out of the shape. I always measure the height and width of the subject. Is the general shape a square or rectangle? In this case the rectangle shape is taller than it is wide.
Study the edges of the tree. The outline edges show the character of the tree's shape

This drawing is a controlled contour drawing. I drew all the detailed ends and out of the edges but unlike a true contour drawing I looked at my paper and guided the drawing along the lines of the earlier "edges" drawing.
Controlled contour drawing.

After sketching the contour I added cross-hatching marks to depict value. The sun is fairly high in the sky but on the right side of the tree. The left side of the tree will be in shadow.

Contour and value sketch

If you can change the reference photo into gray tone you'll be able to better determine the shading.
Gray tone photo
Fun little sketch of the deer, mostly black and white. 









No comments:

Post a Comment